Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Music and Theatre 101, Entry Numero Cinq


In May, Brett and I attended Sunnyvale Community Player's (one of my second homes) production of "Cabaret".
"I used to pretend I was someone quite mysterious and fascinating. Then I grew up and realized I WAS mysterious and fascinating"
Set during the decadent final days of the Weimar Republic, and based on Christopher Isherwood’s Berlin Stories, Cabaret tells the interlocking stories of a cabaret singer, Sally Bowles; the American writer, Cliff who takes her in; a malevolent Master of Ceremonies; and the other locals who are mostly oblivious to the looming threat of Nazism. This dark, daring, and provocative musical offers a hard look at why life is most definitely not a cabaret.
Leanne Payne, as both director and choreographer brought together a well oiled cast of talent and strength.  The show was clever and impeccably smooth.  The cast as a whole sounded like a professional cast, which made me quite warm and fuzzy inside to know that a community theatre program was working hard at bringing exceptional performances to the audience.  Overall this show was one of my favorite I have seen at SCP.  Each performer was quite talented with unique strenghts and together the actors brought a real backbone and power to the show that has been lacking in past productions I have seen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment